Thursday, January 7, 2010

Preparing...

So, it's official. I have accepted my Peace Corps invitation to serve as an educational teacher trainer in Zambia, Africa for 26 months. I have now become accustomed to many of my peers, family members and others asking many questions about what I am doing, why am I doing this, and how am I preparing for such a long stint in an impoverished nation. My response always sounds rehearsed. I no longer have to think about how I have to explain myself. The truth is, I don't think I can do much preparing. I can read about the Zambian culture, learn one of the 78 dialects spoken by the Zambian people, or imagine what it may be like to live without my family and friends, but I will not be able to clench the realization of my move until I completely immerse myself into my new life as a Peace Corps volunteer. I am more than excited, and I am trying to get to know the Zambian life through literature and online resources. My excitement is building through talking with other future volunteers that are a part of my training group. I feel as though as this is the right move for me at this time in my life. I am energetic and ready to take on challenges. I may not be able to mentally prepare myself for the culture shock I am about to encounter, so for now, I am enjoying time with family and friends. In 42 days I just may be able to give a little more information and a little less rehearsed response.

13 comments:

  1. Katherine This is Brittany's Dad Brian. Great news that you will be going to Zambia. You will love it I am sure. Please plan on hooking up with Brittany she will show you the ropes. If you or your folks have any questions about the PC or Zambia please feel free to give us a call(631 666-4889) or you can e-mail us at Aubins5@aol.com Good Luck Congradulations and have fun packing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, Thanks so much for the post! I appreciate your helpful attitude! I will definitely pass on the email and number to my parents. I am looking forward to this adventure! Seems like Brittany is having a great experience. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine, WOW! I am so proud of you!
    I remember at Kathleen's shower talking to you about this! Congratulations on making this dream a reality! Best of luck to you.
    All our love and support.
    Heather, Geoff and the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kath~so glad you decided to write this blog. It will be a real joy for me to experience this part of your lifes journey, through your writings. The count down begins ! dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is so weird, but I found your blog on the peace corp journal site and I wanted to say hi. I will be meeting you soon at the staging. I am also leaving for Zambia on the 17th. Just got the staging info today! you can check out my blog at adaminzambia.blogspot.com.

    my e-mail is amwilliamson7@gmail.com.

    say hi if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you will be leaving in four weeks. It is an exciting time. Zambia looks like quite the place! Love those elephants. Of course I will miss you immensely but glad I can communicate with you through this blog (and other means). Nothing will ever be able to replace this experience. I am proud of you! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine
    Thanks for the return note. If you would like to talk with Britt drop me a note and I will forward her phone info to you, she might have some tips on the packing!! Good Luck.

    Britt's Dad Brian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brian! Just got your message. My phone number is 603-566-8523. I am leaving Monday, so not sure this will be posted in time. Thanks for all your help, though. It is great to have support from many different people. Keep in touch!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Katherine it's your cousin Andrea. I will definitely be checking your blog for updates. What an awesome opportunity to experience another way of life. Stay safe, and have fun. We are all very proud of you.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katherine...love you and miss you....waiting to hear if you arrived in Zambia safely! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, it's UT. Wanted to let you know I'm following the blog and looking forward to your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Katherine...got a few minutes on the internet in St. Maarten. Love you and miss you and will call you Sunday! (It is 12:30 on Friday now). Hope everything is going well. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed reading all your first-hand impressions of daily life there in Zambia, Katherine. They paint a lovely picture of that country's people, in particular.
    They also trigger memories for me of the time in the 60s when the Peace Corps was first established -- one of the best ideas of J.F. Kennedy's administration, I believe. The qualities that shine through in your writing: energetic enthusiasm, open-mindedness, gratitude, and generosity seem to consitute the very ideals that the Peace Corps reaches for as well; a wonderful 'fit' I'd say! So glad that you're part of it all. ( - :

    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete