Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Simple Life: Not to get confused with Paris Hilton's "reality" television show...

First off, I love reading everyone's comments. Internet access is minimal, and when I do get the chance to post, nothing makes me happier than reading everyone's supportive words. I miss and love you all, and I hope to continue to blog about once a month.

Written on 4/14/2010, taken from a journal entry:
There is something gratifying about living a simple life. Before leaving for Zambia, I was anxious about not having access to everyday amenities that I nearly depend on. I was anxious about switching from my dependence on materialistic living to mainly depending on Mother Nature to provide me with security. During my two month stay here in Zambia, that anxiousness has bloomed into a deep appreciation for life.
Here in Zambia, living a simple life starts when the sun rises in the morning when the roosters crow. No ring tone alarm clock. Shortly after I awake, I step outside to the rising sun atop the overabundance of cornstalks. I head to my straw bathing shelter that sits right behind my mud hut while stretching, my movements in sync with the sounds off my Ba Maama sweeping the dusty ground. I greet a few neighbors, usually Ba Charity who carries a large jerrycan of water set on her head. The bath water in my bucket is usually steaming heat thanks to my gracious host mother. No faucets. No hot and cold switch. My routine bafa is something I look forward to. The first cup of water I pour over my head, while listening to the wind howl makes the cornstalks rustle and play amongst themselves, always rejuvenates my mind. After about 15 cups of water plunged over my body, I return back to my quaint hut to dress with the sun's rays. I brush my hair and pin back my grown out bangs. No hair dryer. No straightener. No makeup. One really small mirror to make sure my hair is somewhat neat. No full length mirror. I happily eat my peanut butter and jelly roll with my hot cup of tea upon my door step on the clay ground and greet many more friendly villagers and schools of children dressed in navy, worn-in uniforms. No backpacks. No packed lunches. Just smiles. I carry my breakfast tray back to Ba Maama's hut. "Odi, Ba Maama," I call. "Kalibou," she welcomes me to come in. I depart for language lesson that takes place on the next compound over. No car. No music. Just walking. And more greetings, smiles and hugs from local children. KiKaonde lessons consist of simple conversation with two other volunteers and our language instructor, Ba Golden, a jolly, relaxed, middle-aged native Zambian who is more patient than imaginable and whose kindness can be seen from a great distance. No textbooks. No desks. Just conversation and lots of questions. After 4 brain-busting hours, it's already lunchtime. Adam and me follow the path home. The sun is now beating on our mazoungu skin. We sit upon our door stoops under the shade from our straw roof. Adam playfully strums his guitar as our host brother, Alex age 11, and our host sister, Blessing age 7, brush up against out sides and repeat our English choruses often giggling at our unfamiliar accents. We are then warmed with Ba Maama's traditional, delicious homemade cooking. Always nshima, ground maize mixed with water that forms a hard porridge-like substance. Nshima is rolled with the right hand into small balls and used as an eating utensil. It is always served with a relish which could be pumpkin leaves, rape, cabbage and a protein of eggs, soya pieces, fish, chicken, beans or sausage. My stomach growls for the nshima. No mayo. No mustard. No cheese. No spoons. No knives. No forks. Just hands. And a wonderful, Zambian woman who cooks over an open fire to prepare us a scrumptious, filling meal. After 2 lumps of nshima and a few handfuls of relish, we leave for our training session to meet with other education volunteers and trainers. After a few hours of learning about the Zambian education system and perhaps observing a few classroom observations, we all head back to our home stay families, some of us depart on bike, some on foot. Adam and I repeat our lunch routine except now the sun is setting beautifully and the cool breeze tickles my ankles beneath my long skirt. No tv dinners. No nightly solicitation phone calls. No oven. No dishwasher. Just more nshima. More Nyanja singing. More dancing. More laughs. More hugs. More acoustic guitar. The stars in the sky are so clear that they look reachable and life here is beautiful.
As I crawl onto my floor mattress, under my mosquito net as the candle lights my way, I feel completely satisfied. I will be on my own, without my loving host family, in about a week. This will mean more walking, more cooking, more hand washing, more water fetching. It will also mean more greetings, more KiKaonde conversations, more smiles, more hugs, more singing, more laughing, more sunsets, more roosters crowing, more Zambian breezes and more self-dependence.
I am learning to appreciate and enjoy what I have in front of me. Would I be lying if I said I didn't miss iced coffee or driving? Yes. But those are simply things. Living this simple life has made more room for me to appreciate relationships, community, conversations, culture and Mother Nature. Living simply has enabled me to trust myself and earth to keep me safe and happy, and to appreciate and love a culture that is different than my own. No caffeine. No advertisements. No blackberry. No waste of gasoline. No shopping mall. Just being.

12 comments:

  1. OMG Katherine...how beautiful....tears are now coming to my eyes. I realize what a wonderful person you truly are and how proud I am to have you as my daughter. The people of Zambia are so fortunate to have you working with them! It is true how materialistic we really are in the states. By sharing your experiences with us, it gives us a greater appreciation of life in its simplest form. I love you and miss you...keep up the good work and have fun! As always, your writing is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, forgot to sign last comment....Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. It's crazy how fast you adapted, I'm proud of you! As we talked about many times, I'm not sure if I could ever live without the things you mentioned, we are spoiled here, but it sounds like it isn't bothering you at all. Summer Break in South Africa 2011, viva la vida!!! Miss you! Talk soon.
    Love, Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kath! I would send you a Nadeau's steak-and-cheese if I could. ;) But it sounds like you are more than fine with what you've got - I envy you! Reading all about your exciting journey makes me so proud of you and all you've accomplished. But it's killing me to think of how grown up you are! I can't wait to read more and see pictures. And I hope you're having a fabulously independent time now that you've left the "nest" of your host family!
    Sending lots of love from D.C.,
    Kate
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am truly in awe, this dad of yours who has yet, in my life, to venture out of the security of my "backyard", Manchester. I am incredibly fascinated by the life you are experiencing and so appreciate hearing from you in detail. My congrats for making it this far and through swearing in...I miss you, but am so reassured by these writings and the pictures which stand in evidence of how well you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kath. What you wrote is so beautiful ! You really give us a wonderful picture of life there. I'm so amazed at how well you can adapt to such a different lifestyle. You almost make it sound easy, but I know it canNOT be easy.
    Love you and miss you !!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi to our sweet and very loving niece, We're at your dad's for "the hike with Maddy" and the smell of bacon that Joyce is frying up in the kitchen on a beautiful, warm Sunday morning. I'm using your dad's laptop to read and write.
    My first comment is that you will publish someday. You write beautifully. You move the reader to a different world. With very few words you compel us to re-think our daily lives. That makes a writer worth publishing. You make me so want to go and be there to experience the beauty you describe. Thank you for being you. You are loved and appreciated.
    Aunt Elise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katherine...what a truly amaizing experience. The words you use to discribe your surroundings and exerience makes one believe that they are there with you. You are an inspiration to us and it is easy to see why your family is so very proud of you. I am proud of you! Thank you for making us all think about what really is important in life. Miss you.
    Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katherine, Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I love the details. I wrote a comment several weeks ago, but it was apparently lost in cyberspace. So this time I'll make it short and see if it takes. Have you started to keep a journal? Your observations are treasures that shouldn't be squandered in forgetfulness. Do you need a notebook? Take care, Bern

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I LOVE reading your blogs! You're writing is so vivid and life like...it jumps off the screen at me and I can actually picture you from you're descriptions! Truly awesome girl! I am so incredibly proud that I am related to someone as COOL as you!! You are exploring and doing things that most people you're age wouldn't dare think of doing!! No tv, facebook, ipod!! WHAT!!! NEVER!!! But yet you go off the grid and welcome it with such BIG arms and thrive in your environment! YOU GO GIRL!! Simply amazing, I can only hope I will raise my kids to appreciate and maybe be as COOL as their cuz Katherine!! Have fun and can't wait to hear more about your awesome experience!

    <3 Tara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Katherine,

    It's so awesome to vicariously live through your experience by reading your blog. I really admire and respect what you are doing. You are gaining a perspective of non-American life that is so rare, and I'm sure it will influence your life in a positive way.

    Lots of love,
    Your cousin Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing so many details and images, Kath. They help me understand your world a little bit better. Have to say... the simple life sounds pretty nice!
    With love, Keve

    ReplyDelete